Essay / report: typed, double spaced, single-sided pages, 12 point font, 3 cm margins.
1. Choose an entity (Commonwealth Bank) that was examined during the Banking Royal Commission.
2. Conduct research relevant to the entity selected including any submissions to the Banking Royal Commission, background papers, commentary in interim and final reports, as well as any other related material in the press, websites or in academic articles. Attention should be on the ethical dimension of the case.
3. Present your understanding of, and your response to, the case in any form that you choose.
Critically analyse the ethical issues presented in Commonwealth Bank scandal in response to the examination by the Banking Royal Commission.
8+ References required
Questions that can help to shape the essay :
– Was there any evidence of ethical misbehaviour by company directors, executives or accountants? (Examples)
– Does this case reflect broader systemic problems (eg. the privileging of the needs of the shareholders at the expense of other stakeholders, the mechanisms of capitalism, the taken-for-granted neoliberal ideology, the globalisation phenomenon)?
– What do you think this case means for professional accountants?
– What lessons can regulators (eg. ASIC or APRA) take from the case?
– Do you think the findings of the Banking Royal Commission will impact on the future operations of the entity or on the sector more broadly?