Read the case study on pages 267-269 in Effective Police Supervision and apply critical thinking to construct persuasive recommendations that would assist in creating a performance appraisal evaluation that would best suit the unit Sgt. Thompson supervises.
Use the questions at the end of the case study to help you construct your paper and be sure to address the following:
1. Prepare a detailed job description that compares and contrasts the roles Baker 3 does compared to other patrol units. Remember Sgt. Thompson told Captain Davis that Baker 3 was a Community Oriented Policing (COP) program, not a patrol unit.
2. Choose a method of appraising (Graphic Rating Scale, Critical Incident Method, Behaviorally Anchored Rating Scale, Paired Comparison, and Management by Objectives. Which one do you believe would work best for your proposal to the Captain?
3. Choose two of the six human errors that may occur during the evaluation. Address how you would avoid these errors in your evaluation of Baker 3.
4. What features of the evaluation process can assist you in increasing the validity and reliability of the results of the performance appraisals for Baker 3?
This Assessment should be a Microsoft Word (minimum 2 pages) document, in addition to the title and reference pages.
* Respond to the questions in a thorough manner, providing specific examples of concepts, topics, definitions, and other elements asked for in the questions. Your submission should be highly organized, logical, and focused.
* Your submission must be written in Standard English and demonstrate exceptional content, organization, style, and grammar and mechanics.
* Your submission should provide a clearly established and sustained viewpoint and purpose.
* Your writing should be well ordered, logical and unified, as well as original and insightful.
* A separate page at the end of your submission should contain a list of references, in APA format.
Provide at least two credible sources beyond the text material and
discuss how they provide credibility to the topic
Compare and contrast more than 3 relationships with the other units
Provide some examples of this comparison and contrast
Provide supporting examples to make the point salient
Identify an appraisal method and detail information that would support the mission of the project
Provide an example as to how this appraisal method would look
Summarize the method so that it can be presented