Write 2 pages summarizing the Feld work of your choice, using my guiding questions
1. What was Feld looking to investigate?
2. What methods did he use?
3. Did he face any challenges?
4. What are some of the main arguments of his ethnographic research? In other words, what did he learn and how did explain them to the reader?
5. What stood out to you the most while reading this ethnographic work? Did a particular part inspire you or force you to think differently?
Choose a sub-genre of music that you are interested in and think about it in terms of cultural change and influence.
In 3 pages,
1. describe the sub-genre (and their subculture characteristics) of music (the time period in which it was popular (or if it is currently popular, when it started to become popular).
2. Identify and describe a few artists that are considered to be in this sub-genre of music.
3. Think about how culture influenced them and this sub-genre of music and write about your thoughts.
4. Think about how this sub-genre (you can highlight particular artists) has changed culture and write your thoughts.
5. Thoughts = educated opinions and must be backed up with examples and references.
Attached are sources but for part 2 any sub genre of music and sources work.
The Relationship Between Music, Culture, and Society: Meaning in Music (Chapter 2) In book: Music Learning and Teaching in Culturally and Socially Diverse Contexts- Georgina Barton (Use for Part 2)
Music: the Cultural Context Robert Garfias ( use for Part 2)